The Bebe is Here!
Our beautiful daughter was born on January 8, 2008 at 11:40 p.m. Her name is Robyn Annika Puno.
Here’s a recap of the events of the day and boy what a day it was! Raffy and I arrived at the hospital at 7:30 a.m. and induction started at 8:00 a.m. The birthing suite we were in was really amazing. It was a very sterile environment with only one other adult allowed to be in the room. Luckily we were able to talk to the doctor and my mom was allowed to join us in the room. Raffy and Mom had to wear scrubs in the room. Everyone else who visited had wait or visit in the side room, but Nik and Zak were able to visit with me for a short time in the room, but because it started to get late, Nik and Zak had to go home. We also had an early visit from Annika's Ninong TJ. Little did we know at that point that we wouldn't be meeting her until nearly 12 hours later! We were also visited by Ninong TJ's wife, Ninang Rio later in the evening. Little did we know that it would be another 4 hours after that!
Anyway, back to my story. The contractions started around 9:00 a.m. and at that point I remember thinking that I would be in active labor by 12:00 noon. Yeah Right! Our OB, Dr. Rivera did not want me on the Pitocin drip the entire time so after 10 or 12 contractions I was weaned on and off the Pitocin. She wanted the contractions to progress naturally. My contractions were not very strong, but at least they were consistent at 2 to 3 mins apart. Around 6pm I was at 6cm and only 50% effaced. By 7pm I was 7cm and 70% effaced. Dr. Rivera felt if she could break my water, then that would speed up the process. The problem was after 2 attempts, using 5 different instruments, my water would not break. Finally, when I I didn't think I could continue because I was uncomfortable from being in bed for the entire day, my back was hurting, my legs were numb and tingly and the boredom coupled with my anxiety almost caused an emotional breakdown. I got worked up and didn't think I had any gusto left in me. But, Dr. Rivera was finally able to break my bag of water and then things started to turn.
Shortly after 9pm I was at almost 8cm and nearly 90% effaced. Dr. Rivera told me we were good to go. My energy came back at hearing that and I was back in the game. She said 1cm per hour and she was right. Right at 10pm I was at 10cm and 90% effaced. By 11pm I was fully dilated and completely effaced. Thank the Lord, after 16 hours of labor, with the assistance of so many doctors and my mom and Raf, I finally started pushing! I pushed for30 mins and then our beautiful baby girl was finally here! She came out with a little tiny cry, lots of hair and beautiful coloring!
Save for a few bumps along the road and for some drama at the end, it was all worth it when I held our beautiful daughter in my arms!
Annika was born at 11:40 p.m. and in the little waiting room she already had so many visitors waiting to meet her, including her Lolo Dody, Tito Dondi, Lolo Boy & Lola Lulu. It was so heartwarming to hear their cheers and their affection for her when they saw her for the first time!
Many ask me how different my hospital experience was compared to the US. All in all, the medical attention I received was pretty much at par with the US if not better. We were never left unattended at the hospital. There were resident OB’s, midwives and nurses at our every need. In fact, as you will see in the pictures, even though I was hooked up to the CTG machine which was reading my contractions and monitoring Annika’s heartbeat, there was a resident OB who’s hand was on my stomach manually logging my contractions for the entire 16 hours I was in labor. During the delivery my OB was there assisted by resident OB’s at each side. There were midwives ready, nurses ready, pediatric residents ready and the anesthesiologist there to help out as well. They guided me along the process and with the support of my wonderful husband and my mom, even though labor was 16 hours, I got through it with their encouragement as well as through God’s strength and protection.
So now we’re home and enjoying our newest addition. Nik and Zak are so excited and are doting on her hand and foot. We hope you enjoy the slideshow. Can’t wait for you to meet our princess. She’s just gorgeous!

